NubAbility

As I sit here reminiscing about this past week and what I was able to witness and be a part of, I can't help but smile. I have had the privilege of attending something life changing over the past two summers. Something that leaves you walking away feeling refreshed and so encouraged. That something is the NubAbility All Sports Camp. NubAbility's goal is to get kids off the stands and in the game and teach them to not only play, but play best with less.

NubAbility brings in coaches and campers from all over the country. From paraolympians to WWE guys to college athletes and war veterans, NubAbility brings in the best. Something so unique and what I love about NubAbility is that every coach has a missing limb and every camper does too, with the exception of the awesome volunteers and staff members. The camp offers basketball, volleyball, football, softball, baseball, wrestling, MMA, cheer, dance & tumbling.  The campers pick a sport they want to focus on. Each sport has limb different coaches there to help teach the campers skills, tricks and techniques that an able bodied coach might not be able to do. We as coaches pour our hearts and souls into these campers.

I was one of the basketball coaches. Now, growing up I had all my limbs. I did not have to worry about not being able to do something because I was missing a hand. Watching these kids was so inspiring to me. I would stand there in awe at some of the things these campers would do. I watched a little girl with no arms dribble a basketball with her feet. I saw a young boy with no hands shoot the basketball with his two little arms. Now if that doesn't move you then I don't know what will. I caught myself many times thinking "My legs hurt so bad. My feet are killing me from standing all day" then I looked up and saw a little girl, maybe 4 years old, walking on two prosthetic legs. Did I feel terrible or what? It sure puts life into perspective.

One day at camp we had Coaches Huddle time. Meaning we as coaches sat down with our team and just chit chatted about life, basketball, struggles, successes and so on. One question that was asked was "what is the hardest thing for you to do with your limb difference?" A few campers answered then precious Ella, who I grew so attached to, raised her hand. She told me that the hardest thing for her to do is put her hair in a pony tail. If you know me and my story, you know that the hardest thing about losing my hand for me was putting my hair in a pony tail. It took me three years after my amputation to finally master it.
Just crying tears of joy after Ella did her first ponytail

As Coaches Huddle time came to a close I told Ella to stay next to me, even though I knew she wasn't going anywhere, I had a new little shadow :) Ella was born without a left hand so our limb difference was very similar.  I told Ella to take her headband off, she was about to learn how to do her hair all by herself. I showed her how I held my hair tie on my good hand and walked her through the next few steps. After about 30 seconds Ella's hair was placed beautifully on top of her head in a ponytail that she did all by herself for the very first time at 11 years old.

Ella jumped on me and wrapped her legs and arms around me and wouldn't let go. I kept telling her how proud I was of her as tears streamed down both our faces. I fell to my knees with Ella in my arms and we both just cried. Tears of joy. Tears of accomplishment. It was an incredible feeling I will never ever forget.

Teaching and coaching kids the proper shooting technique or the correct defensive stance is great. But teaching Ella how to do her hair, a life long skill she will be able to take with her forever, is what camp is all about.


I have walked away yet again from NubAbility with friends that will last a lifetime, memories I'll treasure forever and a sense of peace knowing that God is using me to encourage and inspire others.

God is so so good and He can use you too. Whatever phase of life you are in it does not matter. God wants you to be on His team. He wants to be your coach and cheer you on as you play in this game called Life. So I encourage you, if you haven't already, get out of the stands and step out on to God's court. He is waiting for you. He can't wait to be your coach!

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Philippians 4:13 

All the basketballers!


Coaches Huddle
The best soccer coaches around

Being goofy with my little ballers




For more information on NubAbility check out: NubAbility.org

Comments

Popular Posts