High Five {take 2}




As I sit here it's weird to think that at this time five years ago, would be one of the last days I had two hands. It seems like just yesterday, but at the same time seems like a lifetime ago. Sometimes I wish I would have been a little more conscious and a little less medicated at this time. For it only being five short years, it's crazy to say but I can't really remember what life was like with two hands. Weird I know.

I mentioned in the previous blog the first of five things that have really stood out to me over the last five years, and that was that nothing is impossible. Here are the last four...

2. God works all things together
    After losing a limb it is very clear to me how much people take things for granted or how often people complain. It's easy to get lost in circumstances of life and to think the world is against you. News flash! God wins! It's going to be okay! The storm of life you're in right now isn't going to last forever, the rain has to eventually stop. Guess what, because you were tossed around in the storm you came out stronger and better than ever. God uses difficult situations to mold and shape the person He wants you to be. He works everything out for your good. You might not see it now but I promise you He will never leave you and you are right where you are suppose to be!

3. Be thankful
    Stop complaining about stupid small things. You are blessed beyond measure. I get so tired if people whining and complaining about how terrible they think their life is. Uhh hellllo missing a hand over here! Do you want me to start complaining?!? I've got a lot I could complain about. No one wants to be around someone who is constantly negative and complaining or at least I don't. I choose to be grateful for what I have and I challenge you to do the same! I could sit around and feel sorry for myself because I'm missing one hand or I can be thankful for my one good hand! Take a moment and just reflect on how blessed you really are. Are you a glass half empty or a glass half full kind of person?

4. Laugh, laugh a lot
   Life is too short to be anything but happy. I might be missing a hand but I am sure going to have fun with it. Do you know how fun it is to mess with poor strangers about it?! Over the last four years I have been driving back and forth to Virginia for school. It's a 12 hour drive and I did it alone quite often. I don't know if it was my bright yellow car that caused people to drive slow as they passed me or my dance moves (you have to keep yourself awake somehow). Haha

  One time in particular I was driving through the mountains of West Virginia and this car full of high school boys thought they were sooooo cool. They would pass me, go really slow, honk, wink and wave. I would politely wave back. After the fifth time I was thinking to myself "alright boys you're not funny anymore, do it again I've got something up my sleeve" Sure enough they sped up then slowed down in order for me to pass them. They flashed me their smiles and winks and I waved back... With my nub this time! Their faces were priceless. Needless to say they sped up and never came back! Hahaha. I've got plenty of funny stories like that. It's fun to laugh and have some fun otherwise it gets sad and depressing. Try and laugh a little more each day there is always good no matter the situation :)

5. Attitude is everything
    This kind of sums up all of the other four points. If you have a good attitude than you probably laugh a little more, are thankful more often and know that everything is going to be okay! Having a negative attitude is going to get you know where. After I lost my hand had I sat in my room with a negative attitude I know for a fact that I would not have met some amazing people or been able travel to awesome places. I am so excited to go back out to California this fall to be a part of Bethany Hamilton's retreat for the second year. That retreat has forever changed my life. Life isn't fair. We live in a fallen, sinful world. But it is our choice whether or not we want to live a happy life. I chose happiness despite my tragedy. Which one do you chose?


So there you have it. Five years. Five different things.

1. Nothing is impossible
2. God works all things together
3. Be thankful
4. Laugh, laugh a lot
5. Attitude is everything

Right hand, I miss you but I'll see you again when my work here is done. {8.26.2009}

"Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious RIGHT hand."  Isaiah 41:10 {NLT}

Comments

Popular Posts